72 total views, 2 views today
Some interview questions seem really tough and difficult to answer, but if you calm down and really look at them, you will find that it is actually not as hard as it seems. Employers use these questions to choose the best amongst equals.
The meaning behind this interview question:
When a hiring manager asks you – “Why do you think you are qualified for this position?” or “Do you feel your skills and experience match the job description?” or “Do you feel that you have the skills and experience required for this job?” He/she wants to know if you understand the requirements for the position and what makes you a must have.
You are not going to get away with a simple “I am qualified for this position because I have all the skills you need” answer. The hiring manager expects you to explain (with examples) precisely how your skills and experience match the job description. However, this doesn’t mean you should give him/her a long lecture, make it brief, concise and packed with evidence. This is why you should prepare thoroughly before the interview, it will give you the time to determine in advance what skills and experience you possess that the interviewer is going to be interested in.
How to prepare for this interview question:
- Make a list of requirements and criteria for the job criteria not only from the job description provided by the company but also from your knowledge of the industry and adverts for similar positions.
- Identify all skills and experience you have that match the criteria
- Give examples of your work, past projects, fieldwork, academic qualifications that demonstrate you have the said skills or experience.
- State additional skills that fit into the role and sets you apart from other candidates.
Sample answers for different roles
- “I believe my skills and experience match the person specification. You’re looking for someone with high-level of experience in the oil and gas industry. I have 20 years’ experience in this sector, most recently as General Manager of an oil conglomerate in Lagos.”
- “You need someone with extensive skill in financial management, able to build turnover and, most importantly build turnover profitably. In my past role as a branch manager, I headed a team that realized an annual turnover of 50 million – 30% higher than when I took up the job two years ago.”
- “The role you are looking to fill demands an individual who is adept at managing and leading a large team. I am responsible for 50 sales staff at my current workplace. Together we drive profitable sales, build and maintain profitable long-term relationships with key, high-value clients.”
- “I have good administrative skills and I believe I will be an asset to your office. I have fast typing skills and proficient in Microsoft Office applications including programs such as Adobe Photoshop, QuickBooks.”